Trace the history of the world in over 500 easy-to-follow maps, from the dawn of humanity to the present day. Organized chronologically, A History of the World in 500 Maps tells a clear, linear story, bringing together themes as diverse as religion, capitalism, warfare, geopolitics, popular culture and climate change. Meticulously rendered maps chart the sequence of broad historical trends, from the dispersal of our species across the globe to the colonizing efforts of imperial European powers in the 18th century, as well as exploring moments of particular significance in rich detail.
* Visualizes 7 million years of human history.
* Analyses cities and kingdoms as well as countries and continents.
* Features major technical developments, from the invention of farming in the Fertile Crescent to the Industrial Revolution.
* Charts the spread of major global religions, including Christianity and Islam.
* Explores the increasing interconnectivity of our world through exploration and trade.
* Investigates warfare and battles from across the ages, from Alexander the Great's conquests to the D-Day offensive.