For a century Murray's general store was a Dunsaughlin landmark. Situated at the northern end of the village, it opened for business in May 1896 and remained in the Murray family until sold in 1998. Peadar Murray, who was a publican, draper, cycle salesman, hardware merchant, Gaelic League activist, writer amd noted photographer, presided over its fortunes until the 1940's. His wife, Margaret, who was prominent in local politics, continued to run the business until the 1960's when their son Brendan took over. Peadar Murray was in many ways an innovator and risk-taker, open to outside influences and ideas. He came to Dunsaughlin as a complete outsider. He must have been the first in the area to own a camera and he developed his own photographs, taking a great interest in the most up to date development techniques.